Thunderbird, chassis no. 340601901, was built in 1956 and is the first-generation T-bird. It was newly registered in Italy on March 16th, 1956. From the documents, it appears that the next day the car was registered to the "Innocenti, Società Generale per L'Industria Meccanica e Metallurgica". Innocenti was one of the most famous Italian mechanical companies, founded in Milan in 1933 by the entrepreneur Ferdinando Innocenti. The turning point for the company, from small business to mechanical constructions, came with the patent of Tubo Innocenti, scaffolding joints that are still in use today. The successes of Innocenti was concentrated in the years of the Lambretta, a great competitor of the most successful scooter of the time, the Vespa, and in the automobile production with the Mini, built on British Leyland license. Chassis no. 340601901 was registered in the name of the company itself. Based on the testimonies and the nature of the car, it is believed that the car was intended for the personal use of Luigi Innocenti. Son of Ferdinando, he had a degree in engineering obtained in 1948, entering the family business as a technician and a member of the Board of Directors in 1949. In 1958 he assumed the position of Vice President. He became President when his father died in 1966, and remained in this position until 1971 when he decided to sell the company. The Ford Thunderbird was therefore used mainly for cruising and arrived today with its original plates MI299966. The car is painted in the original turquoise colour, specific for 1956, the "L - Peacock Blue (11415)” and has interiors in two-tone “Dark Peacock – White (XC)” vinyl. In 1956, the Thunderbirds left the factory painted in a single colour or with a hardtop in a contrasting colour. Often the cars finished in a single colour had the hardtop repainted in white by the dealers before delivery, on customers’ request. It is the case of the chassis no. 340601901, that left the Dearborn factory on December 14, 1955, with a hardtop in the same colour and without the "portholes". Intended for export, with the speedometer in km, it was equipped with the optional 312 c.i. for 215 hp, with a manual gearbox. The car is in good conditions; only the sunroof needs restoration. Excellently preserved, the mechanics were subject to maintenance and fine-tuning. Currently, it is equipped with a new, aftermarket, Edelbrock four-barrel carburettor.
Well preserved, in good conditions. Soft top to be restored.