1954 MG TF 1500 - Matching numbers car – One of the very first TF 1500 produced
Absolutely gorgeous MG TF 1500 roadster in great condition. This is a matching numbers car with the factory original 1.5-liter inline 4 making 63 bhp. The car was built September 3-7, 1954 and shipped on September 8, 1954 from the Abingdon, England factory as a USA export model. One of the first TF 1500 of only 3,400 ever produced. The car left the factory with the decibel optional equipment wire wheels. The car starts, drives and stop without any issues. The car has a Danish title and registration and a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate is included in the sale. Has been in long-tern Danish ownership since 1995.
Odometer: 72145 miles
Car/Chassis Number: HDA46/6784
Engine Number: XPEG/748
Engine: 1,500 cc (1.5 L) XPEG type I4, 63 bhp
Factory Equipment: Wire wheels
Build Dates: 3-7 September 1954
Shipping Date: 8 September 1954, North America Export
History of the MG TF:
The TF Midget, launched on 15 October 1953, was a facelifted TD, fitted with the TD Mark II engine, headlights faired into the fenders, a sloping radiator grille concealing a separate radiator, and a new pressurized cooling system along with a simulated external radiator cap. This XPAG engine's compression ratio had been increased to 8.1:1 and extra-large valves with stronger valve springs and larger carburetors increased output to 57.5 bhp at 5,500 rpm.
In mid-1954 the engine capacity was increased by 17 per cent to 1466 cc and designated XPEG. The bore was increased to 72 mm (2.8 in) and compression raised to 8.3:1 giving 63 bhp (47 kW) at 5,000 rpm and a 17 per cent increase in torque. The car was designated TF1500, and externally distinguished by a cream background enamel nameplate on both sides of the bonnet, placed just to the rear of the forward bonnet-release buttons.
Production ended at chassis number TF10100 on 4 April 1955 after 9,602 TFs had been manufactured, including two prototypes and 3,400 TF1500s. The TF was superseded by the MGA.