1937 EMW 327 -2

  • Price
    Price On Request
  • Model
    EMW 327 -2
  • Year
    1937
  • Condition
    Used
  • Body Type
    Cabriolet / Roadster
  • Fuel Type
    Petrol
  • Power
    40 kw (54 hp)
  • Mileage
    17,531 km
  • Address
    Koppenhoefstraat 14, 5283 VK Boxtel, The Netherlands
  • Country
  • Published
    4 months
Classic Park

Classic Park

Koppenhoefstraat 14, 5283 VK Boxtel, The Netherlandsen.classicpark.nl45 Cars
  • ID
    #72101
  • VIN
    87734
  • Color
    Blue
  • Metallic
    No
  • Engine
    N/A
  • Engine Number
    N/A
  • Chassis Number
    N/A
  • Gearbox
    Manual
  • Steering Wheel
    LHD
  • Drive Wheels
    RWD
  • 1st Reg. Country
    N/A
  • Doors
    2/3
  • Interior Color
    N/A

Description

The Automobilwerk Eisenach (AWE) car factory was founded in 1886 by Heinrich Ehrhardt in Eisenach (Germany). Initially bicycles and weapons were produced, but after two years the first car was there: a Wartburg (a licensed model from the French Decauville). AWE was the third factory in Germany to produce cars and one of Thuringia's largest employers.

Production of the Decauvilles ceased in 1903 and the Ehrhardt family withdrew from the management of the company. The factory continued under a different name: Dixi (Latin for "I have spoken"). The top model, the U35, was introduced in 1907 and quickly gained a good reputation for its reliability and performance.

During the First World War, trucks and weapons were produced. Passenger car production restarted in 1919, but due to the economically difficult time it was forced to merge with Gothaer Waggonfabrik AG. From then on, the company focused on the production of passenger cars. In 1927 the DA-1 3/15 was introduced, licensed by the British Austin 7.

After the purchase of AWE by BMW in 1928, production of Dixi's ceased. The Eisenach plant became the birthplace of BMW. By 1931, 25,000 cars had already been produced in series. From 1933 larger cars with six-cylinder engines were developed, the first was the BMW 303. Later followed the 315, 319, 327 and the BMW 328, an elegant sports coupé.

From 1942, because of the Second World War, the production of cars was stopped and the construction of motorcycles for the Wehrmacht and aircraft engines for the Luftwaffe began. At the end of the war, 60% of the factory was destroyed.

After the war, Thuringia was handed over to the Soviets by the US military. Production resumed with the BMW 321, of which approximately 4,000 were produced between 1945 and 1950. In 1949, the pre-war BMW 340 and 327 were reintroduced. In 1952, when the company was handed over to the East German government, it was agreed with BMW Stuttgart that the cars produced in Eisenach should be provided with the EMW (Eisenacher Motorenwerk) logo. When production of the EMW-BMW 327 stopped in 1955, 505 had been built in Eisenach.

The reunification of West and East Germany in 1990 marked the end for AWE, which could not compete with modern production methods. The factory closed its gates in April 1991.

Subject to price changes, errors, availability. Look for the full photo report and availability on our website. The counter readings stated by us are read counter readings unless expressly stated otherwise in our text. We cannot guarantee the exact mileage of most of our classics. Classic Park's core activities are purchasing, sales and consignment sales. You will find us in Boxtel, which is located between Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch (10 minutes by car north of Eindhoven and Eindhoven Airport). From Venlo (German border) it is an 80 km drive and Amsterdam Schiphol is 100 km away. We have an average of 100 classics in stock. You are most welcome to visit us. In order to provide you with the best possible service, please make an appointment in advance.

Classic Cars for Sale

Subscribe To Our Newsletter