1948 HRG 1500 Sports

  • Price
    Price On Request
  • Model
    HRG 1500 Sports
  • Year
  • Condition
  • Body Type
    Cabriolet / Roadster
  • Fuel Type
  • Power
  • Mileage
  • Address
    Hampshire, UK
  • Country
  • Published
    3 months
Charles Leith Ltd
Charles Leith LtdNew Forest, Hampshire uK
Average response time: 1 day
  • ID
  • VIN
  • Color
  • Metallic
  • Engine
  • Engine Number
  • Chassis Number
  • Gearbox
  • Steering Wheel
  • Drive Wheels
  • 1st Reg. Country
    United Kingdom
  • Doors
  • Interior Color
  • Leather Seats


1948 HRG 1500 Sports - W125 - Phoenix Crank & Rods + HRGA pistons

Delivered new in green with green wheels to London HRG agents Charles Follett in early January 1948, the first owner was a Major Guy Brunnarius of Barnet. 44 cars were completed that year. By January 1950 Peter Riley acquired this car - as a student at Cambridge! Cars were, and still are, not allowed at Cambridge, so how he stored this car is a typical student's challenge! He became a well known BMC international rally driver but not before a major prang in this HRG. It was soon sorted out and the car was sold that Christmas.

At 2 year intervals this car was sold, and around 1958 Dennis Hewett took this car on - by which time this car was white. Hewett kept W125 for a number of years and competed with the car in the Griffiths Formula, formed to encourage the preservation and racing of sports and sports/racing cars of the 1947 to 1960 period, which later became the HSCC or Historic Sports Car Club, formed by Betty Haig and Guy Griffiths in 1966.

W125 was later sold to Graham Lee who carried out a thorough overhaul and repaint. Graham was a patent agent and looked after the H of HRG Ted Halford's patents, of which there are a number - for example the hand-pushed star wheel garden lawn edge trimmer, a photo of an example featured on the back page of a recent HRG Association magazine this year. Graham Lee had a lot of work carried out by Ian Mahany around 20 years ago when a strong new Phoenix crankshaft, new con-rods and new pistons were fitted, to provide a robust and strong bottom end to the engine.

W125 has had minimal mileage since October 2014 when this car was purchased from Graham Lee's Estate by the present owner on behalf of his late father Don Courtney. Don was a long term HRG owner in period with two previous HRG 1100s and was former Editor of the HRG Association journal.

Don caused a very smart new double-duck hood and side screens to be made, but sadly did not get to enjoy the car. His son has kept the car in excellent order for the past 6 years or so, keeping the car in readily usable condition in its own modern timber stabling garage, since driving the car from Dorset to Sussex, and now wishes to acquire a more modern sports car in its place.

The smart black paintwork with red painted wheels are in excellent condition, the upholstery in nice condition, & equipped with Bluemels sprung steering wheel, Pheonix Cranshaft & con-rods with HRG Association pistons.

What is not to like? Please Enquire



The car is fully recognised and accepted by the HRG Association as a genuine ex- factory car with a full continuous history. A marque expert has recently looked over the car and verified its major components, chassis number, chassis plate and other identification numbers.

All H.R.Gs (both pre and post-war) are eligible to compete in the Class 2 (for pre-war production cars) in the MCC classic trials.

Post-war built H.R.G.s are eligible in historic rallying (ERA / HERO) in the pre-war category.

Eligible from last year for the new Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCC) post war “Historic Class” for selected post war cars.

Further information

A full history of the marque, the company, the cars and the successes can be found in the book “The Sportsmans Ideal” by Ian Dussek. ISBN 10: 0956512402 or ISBN 13: 9780956512406

HRG Association website: www.hrgcars.com

Please enquire


Brief history of The H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd and the H.R.G light car

Formed by the partnership of E A Halford, G H Robins and H R Godfrey, the H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd was created in 1935 incorporating the initials of their surnames. H R (Ron) Godfrey was lead designer and was already well known in sports car circles for his involvement with Archie Frazer-Nash in the GN cycle cars of 1910 to 1922.

The first H.R.G car, the “1½ Litre” model, powered by the Meadows 4ED engine, was introduced to the motoring press at Brooklands race track in October 1935. The car was considered a bit of a “throw back” to the past, even for the mid to late 1930s. It mixed traditional hand-built construction techniques with updated tried and tested solutions from Godfrey’s experiences and executed them efficiently. With a particular focus on functionality and lightness (rather than styling) there was a high power to weight ratio from a modest engine. This also enabled higher gearing to be used for reliability. The car was marketed as having “three-fold performance” enabling an owner to use the car, unmodified, in both racing and off-road trials as well as everyday transport.

Moving into new factory premises in Tolworth in Surrey, car production started in early 1936 and the cars quickly gained a reputation for being very effective in competition and for the true enthusiast. An 1100cc model, powered by a modified Singer engine, was introduced in 1938. World War II n

Classic Cars for Sale