This outstanding full restoration example was initially registered in Germany on the 21st December 1959 and, unlike so many of these rare cars, has remained in Germany with just four owners entered on the registration documents. One of just 830 Coupes ever produced, this model is even rarer with a factory ordered sunroof. The current owner of some 25 years, a meticulous antique dealer, has spent the last quarter of a century ensuring that the car is restored to as near original condition as possible, with all original parts restored rather than replacing. All factory numbered chrome and wood elements have been carefully restored to create an authentic car. The below depicted restoration pictures offer a brief insight to the work involved. Cathedral Classics are delighted to bring this somewhat rare Mercedes to the market place and would be extremely surprised if there is a better example out there.
As confirmed by the original Mercedes Fahrzeug-Daten (Build Card) the car left the factory in (weiß/grau) white/grey. During the long restoration a decision was taken in the last few years to repaint the car in original Mercedes colours: dunkelgrün (dark green) DB221 and mittelgrün (mid green) DB 229. Some well-known German restoration companies were involved in the final stages with Fm Jürgen Kassen in Örlinghausen completing the majority of the work, and it has to be emphasised that the results are quite breathtaking. An immense amount of chrome is on these cars, so particular attention was paid to retaining all the original numbered Mercedes chrome elements with only the best results being accepted.
Finished in dunkelgrün (dark green) leather and matching carpets supplied and fitted by local expert autosattler Fm Schäfers in Paderborn Germany again, the results are without compromise. As with the exterior chrome elements, all the Mercedes numbered wood interior pieces have been retained and beautifully restored. Dare we say it but, the interior is possibly now better than when the car left the factory and must be seen to be appreciated.
Engine & Transmission
Somewhat advanced for the late 1950’s, the 2.2 Litre fuel injection OHC 6 cylinder engine is housed in an immaculate looking engine bay. As mentioned, some heavy hitters were appointed to complete the restoration and under the bonnot is no exception. Fm BSK in Paderborn Germany have completed a wonderful job and the car now runs beautifully.
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
The somewhat quirky 13” wheels are covered in almost new Maxxis 185/80 R13 90S whitewall tyres with plenty of tread remaining. The original chrome and dark green painted hub caps are in perfect condition.